Our people, pups and dogs sure do know how to attract some good attention! As witnessed by this photo, taken by puppy raiser Sue Day, during a recent puppy club outing. She writes: "This was taken during a club outing to San Francisco on the Ferry Boat. We ended up walking to Pier 39. Just as we got there, an interviewer and camera man from Fox Sports approached Don Hirzel, the leader of our Alameda County 4H puppy raising group. The camera crew was out doing public interest stories and asked Don questions about Guide Dogs, what he was doing, and other questions about Guide Dog puppies and the organization. It turns out that the crew was there to cover a soccer game with Mexico; the segment was actually aired in Mexico."
That's just like our puppy raisers - ready with a feel-good, man-on-the-street interview any ol' time of day!
Here's a list of links to some more recent media coverage we thought you'd enjoy. Great stories and videos of the impact our program is having in our communities. Enjoy!
- Dog Fancy Magazine: After the Call of Duty. Highlighting retired service dogs, and featuring retired guide Bianca. Note: the link only gives you a teaser to the story; pick up the August 2009 issue of Dog Fancy Magazine on newsstands now to read the complete article.
- KOMO-TV News / ABC (Seattle, WA): Puppy Love for the Visually Impaired - Video. Visually impaired students at the Louis Braille School meet the next generation of Guide Dogs.
- Carbon County News (Billings, MT): Purple Paw Awarded to Stanley Northcutt at Hair Ball. A feature about alumna Chris Northcutt and her guide, Stanley.
- The Napa Valley Register (Napa County, CA): How to Host the Blind. Featuring GDB board member and alumna Vickie Kennedy and her presentation to hotel employees on how to best serve blind guests.
- Marin Independent Journal (Marin County, CA): Puppy love for 44 years; Guide Dogs volunteer helps dogs bond with humans. A profile of long-time GDB volunteer puppy socializer, Evelyn Hoffman.
- View From The Bay, KGO-TV / ABC (San Francisco, CA) - Video: Volunteers needed for Guide Dogs for the Blind. A segment talking about puppy raising volunteers.
- Good Question, KPIX-TV / CBS and CW 44 (San Francisco, CA) - Video: What Kind Of Dog Makes A Good Guide Dog? A segment featuring GDB's Puppy Socialization Coordinator, Sharon Kret.
And here's a couple of stories about some of GDB's career change dogs and retired breeder dogs that are involved in a cancer detection study at the Pine Street Foundation in San Anselmo, California.
- O Magazine: Dogs Who Can Sniff Out Cancer. Featuring GDB Master Instructor Paolo Pompanin and his career change dog, Tessy, who is involved in the cancer detection study.
- Good Question: KPIX-TV / CBS and CW 44 (San Francisco, CA) - Video: Can Dogs Detect Cancer?
For more information about the cancer detection study and the Pine Street Foundation, please visit their website at http://pinestreetfoundation.org/.