Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
The past two weekends, our campuses have been turned into tropical paradises as we hosted our 51st annual Fun Day. Themed "Hawaii Fi'Do," on August 8 in Oregon, and August 15 in California, GDB rolled out the red carpet (or rather, the grass mats!) for our volunteers, friends and supporters as a way to recognize the efforts of our puppy raisers.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Black Lab Pasta, the working guide of Megan Miller of Anaheim, Calif., has been selected as Wellness Pet Food's "Pet of the Month" for August. Megan submitted Pasta's photo and story, in which she wrote "[Pasta] is truly my soul mate, my eyes, my best friend and so much more." Her submission got a very enthusiastic response. "Thanks so much for submitting Pasta to our pet of the month contest," Wellness Pet Food wrote. "Your story is inspirational to us and Pasta is absolutely beautiful!" Click here to read Megan's complete submission.
We're trying really hard to get caught up on our litter and breeder dog announcements - we know you've been waiting patiently! But wait no more - here's all of our new arrivals from April 1, 2009-May 30, 2009. We'll have more coming soon - stay tuned.
- 4/1/09 Tiburon x Labelle – 5 males, 2 females
- 4/2/09 Samuel x Vintage – 6 females
- 4/11/09 Kentucky x Chenille – 4 males, 3 females
- 4/13/09 Bosworth x Carlotta – 3 males, 2 females
- 4/20/09 Russo x Gabriela – 3 females
- 4/23/09 Kentucky x Vonnie – 2 males, 5 females
- 4/25/09 Bingham x Raven – 5 males, 2 females
- 4/26/09 Jay x Marcie – 3 males, 4 females
- 4/27/09 Astro x Courtney – 4 males, 2 females
- 4/28/09 Baker x Cuesta – 2 males, 3 females
- 4/29/09 Tiburon x Athenia – 1 female
- 4/30/09 Cubby x Chestnut – 2 males, 3 females
- 5/2/09 Astro x Harbor – 3 males, 1 female
- 5/2/09 Cabby x Lark – 2 males, 2 females
- 5/5/09 Dylan x Favor – 2 males, 3 females
- 5/6/09 Jay x Balina – 5 males, 4 females
- 5/7/09 Bosworth x Gail – 4 males, 2 females
- 5/13/09 Damon x Merlot – 5 males, 3 females
- 5/14/09 Denzel x America – 5 males, 3 females
- 5/28/09 Tiburon x Luana – 1 female
- 5/30/09 Atrus x Kyris – 5 males, 2 females
- 4/20/09 Finnegan x Devine – 2 males, 2 females
- 4/21/09 CCI’s Zorba x Garcelle – 3 males, 5 females
- Albertine – raised in WA
- Bloomer – raised in CO
- Dutch – raised in WA
- Edelyn – raised in CO
- Faberge – raised in CA
- Fontina – raised in CA
- Genova – raised in UT
- Gilda – raised in CA
- Hardy – raised in CA
- Lani – raised in CA
- Lania – raised in CA
- Salina – raised in CO
- Lamara – raised in CA
Do you have fabulous photos of your GDB program dog? Is your career change dog simply the most handsome dog ever? Does your breeder dog make other dogs jealous with envy over her stunning good looks?
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Video 1: Senior Licensed Instructor Jeff Grey with Armani:
Video 2: Qualified Instructor Megan Gutierres with Nina:
Recently two GDB Alumni and I were featured on a wonderful television program Aging in LA. Dan Donlan and I were interviewed while our Guide Dogs Elbert and Val slept peacefully on camera, unfazed by the bright lights. Melissa Hudson demonstrated cooking techniques.
As the Community Relations Coordinator for the Braille Institute, it was a pleasure for me to be able to educate the television audience about the work of the Braille Institute, and more importantly, that blindness doesn't prevent independence. People who lose their vision merely need the right tools and guidance to learn to do things differently so that they can maintain their quality of life.
If you know someone who's blind, please let them know that services are available to them, and, like GDB, many of these services are offered free of charge.
Have you ever tried training your pet dog using a clicker? What did you teach your dog to do?
Fun Day is a day we invite all of our puppy raisers back to our campuses to enjoy a day of … well, fun! This year's theme is Hawaii Fi' Do. We decided to make the most of kennel construction plywood on the California campus. Resident artist and Senior Dog Care Specialist Robert Quick provided the drawings. Teri Balestrieri and Mark Bollinger of our kennels (shown above) were among the volunteer painters who filled in the design.