Monday, November 5, 2012
GDB career change-turned Northwest Disaster Search Dog, Luau, and her handler Sue Bonney (pictured above) have been deployed to help with the crisis caused by Hurricane Sandy. Sue reports that Luau has taken to Search and Rescue like a pro and has found her niche in life. "I can see her smiling while in training!" Sue said. Luau is a 42 pound ball of yellow Labrador energy and this is the team's first deployment. Sue is a member of her local GDB puppy raising group, Guide Puppies of Seattle, and is currently raising a pup named Sparky.
Luau is in good company. Another GDB career change dog, Lani, with her handler John Stewart, is also a search and rescue dog with the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation. Lani and John, from Sarasota Springs, Calif., are also currently at a staging area in Long Island, readying equipment and discussing potential search strategies so they can respond as efficiently as possible. If deployed, their job will be to find people trapped in structures destroyed during the massive storms.
Kudos to these amazing GDB career change dogs and their handlers!
- 8/3/12 Baldwin x Rose – 3 males, 5 females – litter letter “V”
- 8/6/12 Vernon x Sheba – 2 males, 6 females – litter letter “B”
- 8/7/12 Jenkins x Lapis – 3 males, 4 females – litter letter “A”
- 8/9/12 Jay x Arcadia – 4 males, 3 females – litter letter “D”
- 8/10/12 David x Stacy – 6 males, 3 females – litter letter “K”
- 8/13/12 Hurley x Kirin – 3 males, 4 females – litter letter “F”
- 8/19/12 Jay x Sarita – 4 males, 4 females – litter letter “G”
- 8/19/12 Simon x Genova – 5 males, 1 female – litter letter “L”
- 8/25/12 Phoenix x Aqua – 7 males, 1 female – litter letter “Y”
- 8/31/12 Baldwin x Fontina – 2 males, 1 female – litter letter “O”
- 8/31/12 Shawn x Starling – 4 males – litter letter “K”
- Patience – raised in AZ
- Pierre – raised in UT
Thursday, November 1, 2012
Here are a few highlights from the photo submissions we received int he month of September. You can see them all on our Flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/guidedogsfortheblind/
Career change dog yellow Lab Lourdes with her adopter, Elaine Zilonka and Ruby, a black lab/greyhound mix, on the hiking trail. Lourdes was the fourth of five female yellow labs raised by Bob and Joan Fricke of Gold Country Guides in Placer County, CA. She was adopted four years ago by Elaine, the Fitness Director at Sun City Roseville. She was to be a companion for Ruby, rescued seven years ago from the Sacramento SPCA. Bob writes: "Ruby assumes the Alpha position in the home, which Lourdes accepts - and they get along fine. Elaine has introduced Lourdes to the outdoors including: jogging (up to 15 miles every week), hiking, and backpacking on the weekends. The dogs both have their own backpacks and sleep in a "pup" tent (of course) with Elaine. Elaine also exposed Lourdes to lakes and streams, taught her to swim, retrieve sticks, balls and frisbees (her favorite). Lourdes also entertains herself (and others) by blowing bubbles in the water. Needless to say, Lourdes has a new and wonderful life and looks forward to Elaine's return home from work each day by laying on the sofa and gazing out the window (her favorite spot)."