Thursday, March 20, 2014

Providing Good Dental Care for your Dog’s Teeth

By: GDB Registered Veterinary Technician Laura Chandler

Bad breath is not normal, if your dog has bad breath there is most likely some disease in the mouth; 80% of dogs over the age of three have periodontal disease. There is no such thing as “doggy breath” – bad breath is the first indicator of periodontal disease or other oral disease pathology. Just like human dentistry, not just one modality will address all the needs of oral health – we brush, we floss, and use mouthwash.

GDB Vet Tech Laura brushes a Black Lab's teeth with a toothbrush.
GDB Vet Tech Laura brushes a Black Lab's teeth with a toothbrush

For my dental patients I suggest at minimum a two front approach; usually consisting first and foremost with brushing every other day, since it takes about 48 hours for plaque (bacterial colonies) to mineralize into calculus which cannot be removed by teeth brushing alone. Brushing with a tooth brush or gauze/paper towel wrapped around the finger is a good technique, making sure to rub the crown and along the gum line. When I recommend tools for veterinary dental care I suggest items approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC), an organization that independently evaluates the effectiveness of veterinary dental products (this council endorses veterinary dental products that are proven to work). Together we can keep our canines’ teeth healthy and happy!
 
GDB Vet Tech Laura brushes a Black Lab's teeth with a piece of gauze.
GDB Vet Tech Laura brushes a Black Lab's teeth with a piece of gauze

Laura is also certified by The Veterinary Dental Technician and with The American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

*Please note this is a modified version of the original blog post and has been approved as appropriate for all GDB dogs.

6 comments:

  1. Another great article. I like that you are very honest and direct to the point. Dental Cleaning NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog. I learn a lot of information that I need to know on how to care my pet. Thanks for sharing those idea, and I hope that you will share a lot of story's like this.

    Vets Weston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, I think this is not easy to do on different countries. I have also a dog in the middle east and I want to bring this here in US. I hope that this will be easy for me.

    Vets Weston

    ReplyDelete
  4. When i go through and fully read this post i realized that how important is for for dogs to keep their tooth clean ? I recently shop two dogs and in few days i am so attached with them they are like family friends for me and through your sharing i came to know to give dogs a healthy and long life span i have to take care of their dental issues. Laura Chandler i want to give you a huge round of applause for updating me with such great experience of your.

    ReplyDelete

  5. You have shared a great information about New Born Puppy Care and Puppy Dental Care. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
    Thanks
    Susanne Green
    medical assistant

    ReplyDelete